Works to transform Hospital Road continue
The works on Hospital Road are an important part of the Randwick Campus Redevelopment, which includes a more than $1.5 billion investment in world-class health, research and education infrastructure that will deliver new and innovative models of care to the local community and other residents of NSW.
To deliver the new Integrated Acute Services Building (IASB) and prepare for future stages of the project, changes to Hospital Road are required. From late March 2020, vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists will no longer be able to travel the full length of Hospital Road between High Street and Barker Street.
The health and safety of patients, families, visitors, staff, construction workers and the community is our top priority.
We thank you for your patience while we undertake this important work.
Works on Hospital Road include:
- Diversion of high voltage services
- The lowering of a portion of Hospital Road and closing the road to through-traffic to and from High Street, just north of Delivery Drive.
- Providing level access to the campus loading dock
- Utility relocations and upgrades.
Maintaining operational continuity
To ensure operational continuity of the Randwick Hospitals Campus, the works on Hospital Road will be delivered in multiple stages over 18 months from December 2019 and planned in close consultation with key stakeholders to manage any potential impacts on patients, staff and residents.
What can I expect to see?
- Hospital Road closed to through-traffic
- Establishment of a construction site and safety exclusion zones to ensure the safety of construction workers, road users and pedestrians
- Installation of road and pedestrian signage to support safe and coordinated travel to and from the Randwick Hospitals Campus
- A new vehicle turnaround bay on the northern section of Hospital Road to maintain access back to High Street
- To improve local access, a new boom gate will soon be installed at the intersection of Hospital Road and Magill Street allowing access to the campus carpark between 7am and 10pm, 7 days per week
- Access to Francis Martin Drive and levels B2 and B3 of the campus carpark will be maintained from Barker Street.
Stage 2 construction activities (July to late 2020)
- Establishment of construction site compounds and safety exclusion zones to ensure the safety of construction workers, road users and pedestrians
- Temporary closure of Hospital Road B2 car park entry to support construction activity including trenching, excavation, piling activity and restorative works
- Temporary single lane closures along Hospital Road and Delivery Drive under the support of traffic control
- Services investigations along Hospital Road, between High and Barker Streets, to identify underground service locations
- Temporary weekend closures of Delivery Drive
- Footpath pavement works, construction of new road surface and restorative works
- Piling and bulk excavation along Hospital Road and Delivery Drive
- Trenching work, services installation and general construction activity
Closures of Delivery Drive
There may be a requirement to close access to loading docks on Delivery Drive, from Hospital Road, during Stage 2 construction activities.
Prior notice of these closures will be communicated with affected stakeholders in consultation with Hospital staff and loading dock management.
Traffic and access changes
Access changes include:
- No through-access on Hospital Road for any vehicles, pedestrians and bicycles.
- the B2 car park driveway accessed from Hospital Road will be temporarily closed between 15 June 2020 – 15 August 2020.
- Access to levels B2 and B3 of the campus carpark and Francis Martin Drive will be maintained from the south from Barker Street.
- For your safety please pay attention and follow the direction of traffic controllers and look out for new traffic signage.
- Access to Delivery Drive and loading docks via High Street only. Temporary changes apply:
- No access from Barker Street – use High Street and Hospital Road.
- Check signs for size and turn restrictions and follow the directions of traffic controllers.
Magill Street access
Magill Street is approved to be opened to through traffic at the intersection of Hospital Road 7am—10pm, 7 days per week. The following changes have been implemented:
- New street signage and a ‘no-stopping’ zone will be installed along the northern kerb of Magill Street.
- Temporary bollards will replace the concrete barriers at the end of Magill Street near Hospital Road.
The temporary bollards are manually opened during standard business days from 7am to 6pm and are closed overnight and on weekends. A permanent automated boom gate will be installed in the coming months, operating under the approved hours.
Where possible, activities are scheduled during approved site hours:
- Monday to Friday 6am - 10pm
- Saturday 7am - 5pm
Specific works, such as piling and bulk excavation, will be conducted outside of the approved hours to minimise disruption to health services and to minimise impacts on traffic and hospital access. Scheduling of work continues to be dependent on weather and site conditions and may be subject to change.
Fact sheets and community notices:
Find out more
Subscribe to additional email updates about changes to access and works on Hospital Road.
Randwick Campus Redevelopment team