Works to transform Hospital Road continues
The works on Hospital Road are an important part of the Randwick Campus Redevelopment, which includes more than $1.5 billion investment in world-class health, research and education infrastructure that will deliver new and innovative models of care to the local community and other residents of NSW.
The Randwick Campus Redevelopment is transforming Hospital Road to open up a pedestrian plaza as part of delivering a healthy, green and connected precinct.
Hospital Road is being lowered to facilitate a service road below to maintain emergency access and campus logistics using Delivery Drive, with a pedestrian plaza constructed above, which will extend from High Street and connect the new developments with the existing Hospital campus.
Hospital Road will continue to be closed to through-traffic and High Street will no longer allow vehicle access to Delivery Drive via Hospital Road, with vehicles required to enter Hospital Road via Barker Street nly. Safety exclusion zones will be in place with road and pedestrian signage to ensure the safety of construction workers, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.
Access to Francis Martin Drive and levels B2 and B3 of the campus car
park will be maintained from Hospital Road south and Barker Street only.
Construction activities include:
Read the construction fact sheet for Stage 3 - Hospital Road Lowering
- modification of underground utilities and vegetation removal
- use of plant and machinery, saw-cutting and hand tools
- service investigations and potholing
- concrete pouring, road and path reinstatement where required
- works outside the construction site boundary and on Delivery Drive, under the support of traffic control
- construction vehicle access onto Hospital Road via High Street.
and traffic switch here.
Minimising construction impacts
We are committed to minimising the impact of our works where we can. All construction activities are carried out with the health and safety of the local community as our top priority. We endeavour to keep noise, dust and vibration to a minimum. Some ways we do this include:
- truck minimisation periods during peak times to maintain traffic flow into the car parks from Hospital Road
- traffic control and safety exclusion zones established to ensure worker, pedestrian and vehicle safety
- mitigation measures in place to manage light spill, dust, noise and vibration with monitoring devices in use 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
- identify alternative ways, of working, including selection of tools, that reduce disruption to surrounding buildings and residents
- conducting high impact works during standard hours with respite periods during rock-breaking activities
- coordinating works to ensure hospital operations continuity.
Maintaining operational continuity
To ensure operational continuity of the Randwick Hospitals Campus, the works on Hospital Road are being delivered in multiple stages. This staged methodology has been carefully planned in consultation with stakeholders to ensure continuity of logistics, emergency and public access to the campus, loading docks and carpark and to minimise the impact on neighbouring residents.
What’s happening next
This last stage of Hospital Road works represents the final traffic access arrangements until construction on the IASB is complete.
From mid-2021 works will commence to construct clinical and pedestrian link bridges from the IASB into the existing hospital campus and the UNSW translational space will be constructed. The Integrated Acute Services Building is on track to open in late 2022.
Closures of Delivery Drive
There may be a requirement to close access to loading docks on Delivery Drive, from Hospital Road, during Stage 3 construction activities.
Prior notice of these closures will be communicated with affected stakeholders in consultation with Hospital staff and loading dock management.
For more information on closures of Delivery Drive, please read the latest notification here.
Where possible, activities are scheduled during approved site hours:
- Monday to Friday 6am - 10pm
- Saturday 7am - 5pm
Specific works, such as piling and bulk excavation, will be conducted outside of the approved hours to minimise disruption to health services and to minimise impacts on traffic and hospital access. Scheduling of work continues to be dependent on weather and site conditions and may be subject to change.
Find out more
For more information please see the latest community notification on the Hospital Road Lowering construction activities and traffic changes.
Subscribe to additional email updates about changes to access and works on Hospital Road.
Randwick Campus Redevelopment team
Phone: 1800 571 866